Friday, June 25, 2010

She's Crying at the Mic

If I'm adrift,
Cast off and drowning in
Some sea of ages,

Because,
The shifting spotlight
Of my life,
Moved out from under my feet-

Would you pull me in?

Would you take a piece of me with you
And let the weight of
Time's water, drain itself
Out of your eyes?

Or could you bring yourself
To stop the ship?
Drag my waterlogged body
Onto the deck,
And put it on display
For all to see?

Stand at attention and proclaim
With guitar in hand,
All my greatest qualities.
Perhaps even,
While a piano downplays
My most grievous faults.
Witness to the world,
My dripping wet,
Frightening and cold
Immortality.

Would you manufacture
Everything-
All the things I was missing.
Perhaps
Let the water refract
And shift alignment
So the light of your words
Goes off its mark?

Like a spear fisher
Taking solace
In his empty stomach.

Letting time stream
Out of your gut-
Straight to your mouth,
And all over
Everything I was.
Covering all of my sins
So that I am just,
A salty still life
Painted thick in
The pigment of
Watery platitudes.

Drowned
In the perfect memories
That never were.

No comments: